Friday, June 12, 2009

GUERILLA KNITTING ON KRD



At 5:30am on Thursday the 11th of June I got my cousins Jasmine (a prolific knitter/crafter) and Jordan (an amazing photographer) up to help install and document my latest project - Guerilla Knitting for K Rd. I was commissioned by the K Rd Business Association to knit adornment for the trees along K Rd. It was such a fun, exhilarating experience! The knickers are in a tree outside Leo O'Malley's..



I knitted 100 lightbulbs and strung them through this tree in Beresford Square..


This little bluebird and nest are stitched into one of the Nikau Palms at the traffic lights outside St Kevin's Arcade..


We put 6 toadstools into the bark in the long traffic island opposite This is Not a Love Shop, there were 5 left when we went back to take some shots in the light at 8:30am, 3 when Barbara (from the Business Association) got to work, 2 that afternoon and they're now all gone!



This bra we stitched onto this tree opposite St Kevin's Arcade, it didn't even last till lunchtime that day until someone stole it! I was totally expecting theft but not so soon and not in broad daylight.. crazy!


Check out my blog for more extensive documentation of the project, Jordan took some truly great images!

- Sharon 

8 comments:

Sarah said...

The toadstools still blow me away!

the little look see said...

oh sharon its amazing!! you must have been knitting like crazy :)

Sharon Russell said...

thanks hun..yeah it took me a very long time.. but totally worth it!

Knitty Graffity said...

Haha, finally I found you! I have a post on my blog about your toadstools. I used to contract on K’Rd and have seen them and the lightbulbs. Love it!
I guerilla knit as well, so far only in my neighbourhood, Devonport. Check out my blog if you like.
Cheers

lily, rosemary and the jack of hearts said...

Genius!! I want a lightbulb!

PaisleyJade said...

How cool are they! I did a post a while ago about Yarn Bombing and my husband has been daring me ever since to do it!

http://www.paisleyjade.com/2009/05/yarnbombing.html

Lauren Orlina said...

really love what you'd done on k road. i'm one of the organisers of first thursdays and we're looking for more guerilla knitters out there to participate in our future shows. know anyone in auckland who would be keen?

Mark Dawson said...

The light bulbs are nice looking thanks for this blog Cardboard Box